Thursday, December 22, 2016

Asian YA: Awesomely Asian 2017 YA/MG Books


As all book lovers who thrive on social media or anywhere on the internet, there's always new books to look forward to, whether they're a few weeks away, or even a year. While there are dozens of exciting new books to look forward to in the coming year of 2017, I wanted to feature the following books that should be on your radar when it comes to Asian YA.

Note: This list chooses to focus on books that both feature Asian MCs and Asian authors, whether they're #ownvoices or not, although the majority of the books listed here are #ownvoices. Those that are not #ownvoices or I am unsure about have been indicated with an asterisk. I tried to make it as comprehensive as possible, and if any titles are missing that fit the above qualifications or I made any errors, please let me know as soon as possible!

Correction: The author of The Takedown is a white author and I apologize for this error.

East Asia

Flame in the Mist (Flame in the Mist #1) by Renee Ahdieh*
Dove Alight (Dove Chronicles #3) by Karen Bao
Starfish by Akemi Dawn Bowman
Along the Indigo by Elsie Chapman
The Bone Witch by Rin Chupeco*
Forest of a Thousand Lanterns (Forest #1) by Julie C. Dao*
I Believe in a Thing Called Love by Maurene Goo
Always and Forever, Lara Jean (To All the Boys I've Loved Before #3) by Jenny Han
The Ship Beyond Time (The Girl from Everywhere #2) by Heidi Heilig
A Place I Belong by Cynthia Kadohata
The November Girl by Lydia Kang
The Crystal Ribbon by Celeste Lim
The Epic Crush of Genie Lo by F.C. Yee
Warcross (Warcross #1) by Marie Lu
Weaving a Net is Better Than Praying for Fish by Ki-Wing Merlin
The Amaterasu Project by Axie Oh
Spirit Hunters by Ellen Oh
Want by Cindy Pon
Noteworthy by Riley Redgate
It's Not Like It's a Secret by Misa Sugiura
The Takedown by Corrie Wang
Secrets & Sequences (Secret Coders #3) by Gene Luen Yang
Kokoro (Kojiki #2) by Keith Yatsuhashi
The Emperor's Riddle by Kat Zhang

South-East Asia

Empress of a Thousand Skies by Rhoda Belleza
Girl in Between by Pintip Dunn
Hello Universe by Erin Entrada Kelly
Not Your Villain (Not Your Sidekick #2) by C.B. Lee

South Asia

Saints, Misfits, Monsters, and Mayhem by S.K. Ali
Pashmina by Nidhi Chanani
A Crown of Wishes (The Star-Touched Queen #2) by Roshani Chokshi
Dare Mighty Things by Heather Kaczynski
That Thing We Call a Heart by Sheba Karim
Amina's Voice by Hena Khan
The Library of Fates by Aditi Khorana
When Dimple Met Rishi by Sandhya Menon
Soulmated (Joining of Souls #1) by Shaila Patel
The Gauntlet by Karuna Riazi
This Promise I Will Keep by Aisha Saeed
My So-Called Bollywood Life by Nisha Sharma

West Asia

The Authentics by Abdi Nazemian
Escape from Aleppo by N.H. Senzai*


I hope you found some new books to add to your TBR and are excited about the upcoming releases! I, for one, cannot wait to pick these books up and am patiently counting down the days until I get a chance to read them. Stay tuned for the part 2: the non-YA edition for 2017 books, coming soon.

T H I S  P O S T  I S  A L S O  F O U N D  O N  A S I A N  Y A

4 comments:

  1. This is great! I'm really excited for Flame in the Mist and always and forever Lara Jean!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great list. Thank you for posting it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This list is really exciting! I'm always looking for MG books featuring diverse characters, especially South Asian characters. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You missed one that I loved: the epic fantasy, Island of Exiles, by Erica Cameron. All the characters are either a variety of Asian or African - not a single white character.

    ReplyDelete